A monitrice provides the same labor support as a doula with the added ability to provide some limited clinical care as desired or indicated. It is very important that you choose the labor support person who fits well with your personality and can meet your physical as well as your emotional needs. I offer a free consultation so that we can meet. This is an opportunity for us to get to know each other a little bit and for you to have any questions answered about my philosophy, training, experience, etc.
As your monitrice, it is important that we get to know each other prior to your birthing day. Included in your monitrice care package are a minimum of two prenatal visits. During this time we will discuss:
– Nutrition & exercise
– Staying healthy and low risk
– Wishes for your birth
– Childbirth Education Options
– Optimal Fetal Positioning
– Roles for your partner and myself
– Comfort measures to be used (including practice/rehearsal if desired)
– Feeding plans for your baby
During early labor, I am available 24 hours for questions and/or concerns. When you are ready for me to be there with you, I can come to your home or meet at your chosen birthing location. During active labor, I will provide continuous informational, physical, and emotional support. If indicated or desired, I may provided certain clinical services including monitoring maternal vital signs, fetal heart tones, and perform vaginal exams to asses labor progress, baby position, and/or when to move to chosen birth location. I will stay with you through at least one hour postpartum and assist with the first feeding.
Also included in your monitrice care package is a minimum of one postpartum visit. During this visit we will:
– Discuss your birth and answer any questions that you may have.
– Address any issues you may be having with breastfeeding.
– Answer baby care questions you may have and recommend resources if needed.
– Discuss ongoing community and support options for new mothers.
Please contact me for my current fee for monitrice care.